Monday, August 4, 2008

Long Division

For some reason, which I'm sure was brilliant at the time; I decided not to divide the first draft of my historical novel into chapters. I would simply write, I thought, and worry about it later.

Well, it's later now. And I have one honking big file; 30,000 words and counting, chockfull of white spaces, post-it notes, and hand-written reminders; all clamouring for attention and a place of their own.

What's that expression "all great plans..."?

When I wrote juvenile mysteries, published length roughly 132 pages, I would hang my story on a twelve-chapter grid. Each chapter was within a page length of the other and ended with a setup for the next. Maybe two or three scenes per chapter, limited point-of-view – I was writing for eight to 12-year-olds -- and it felt very comfortable. Four months' planning, five months writing, nine months later, you've got a book.

Not so easy writing for the grownups. The plot is far more complex than anything I've ever written before, there are multiple subplots, secondary characters who insist on hogging centre stage, and my timeline is, shall we say, somewhat complicated.

But before I go into panic mode and start divvying everything up into chapters, I'm going to apply a few lessons learned from my grade-thirteen math teacher. Mr. Schofield was calm, he was logical, and he taught us how to analyze a problem and break it down into manageable parts.

That honking big file of mine is about to become five.

Part I will include the prologue and everything leading up to the end of Act I which is where my first turning-point occurs. (A turning point is usually described as that point in the story where the character makes a decision from which there is no "turning" back.)

Act II will begin with Part II and carry on through Parts III and IV and end with the final turning point in our story. By now I should have wrapped up my subplots, and be heading for the resolution of my main storyline. Part V will incorporate all of Act III which, in my case, includes an epilogue.

Nothing fancy but, if all goes according to plan, my five-part structure should see me through this draft and into the next which will, of course, include chapters.

My creative writing teacher might not approve, but Mr. Schofield would be proud. And that's good enough for me.

f & f Anne

No comments: